Trey and Fredrik back at Base Camp

Just a short update from Fredrik and Trey: They are back at Base Camp all safe and strong. They will be ready for a second try as soon as the weather allows (earliest in 5-6 days). A post will be up soon!

Advertisements

13 responses to “Trey and Fredrik back at Base Camp

  1. All of us in Houston are on the edge of our seats…the updates can’t come fast enough.
    We’re keeping our fingers crossed for good weather and hopefully good news of the first ski descent! Go for it, Cuz!
    -Jeffrey

  2. God bless you guys!

  3. nick chapple

    Thanks for keeping us all up to date on Fredrik and Trey’s expedition.
    Brilliant to be getting the constant news on you both down here.
    Friends and family scattered all over the world are tuned into Ski K2.
    Good to hear your both safe and strong as Base Camp.

  4. Stuck to our machines !
    Checking our mail compulsively for updates!
    How great is technology to keep us all connected?
    Have a great rest guys !

  5. brother trey, up at 3 a.m. feeding Luca…and we are STOKED for another go for you guys! eat well, rest up, and keep on it….love you, buddy!

    rob and luca!

  6. Sending our best wishes guys from all the munch bunch here in Chamonix we are all gunning for you and awaiting your safe return with a big juicy steak and huge glass of red.keep up the great posts and stay strong

  7. Our hearts are back in our chests instead of in our throats, and we are hoping for good rest and restoration these next few days for both of you. Hoping for the best weather window yet. We love you much.
    Your Top Abilene Support Group

  8. Warren Currie

    Best of luck from Canada.

  9. Good Luck Trey and Fredrick. Friends around the world are pulling for you…especially in Texas.

  10. Fellowship and Fraternity Of Far Away Friendly Followers Of Frippe and Trey

    Greetings All,
    Sure Trey won’t mind me telling people that his latest news (in a post dated 2010-07-31) is currently online over at Frippe’s site: http://www.fredrikericsson.com.
    FaFoFaFFoFaT.

  11. Some problems to add posts on the blog at the moment. The problem will soon be fixed. Meanwhile here is latest information:

    K2 Update 3AUG10 – Call from Fredrik and Trey on K2 Cesan Route. First ski descent.

    I just got the latest from Frippe at C2.

    As I was standing in line to enter the Outdoor Retailer Show in Salt Lake City UT my phone rang with the familiar 88…. prefix. A few days ago Trey had emailed me from base camp to see if I was up for another round of summit/ sat phone reports. I haven’t heard anything from him since but I did see a bunch of emails jumping around talking about sat phone challenges.

    It was weird, in a way, to be inside the air-conditioned epicenter of the Outdoor Industry knowing my friends were attempting a great achievement in the real outdoors. How many other stories of courage and tenacity were floating around the minds of people standing near me? Who, in street clothes, has accomplished the greatness the marketing people in this building are trying to sell?

    It took several tries to understand Frippe’s explanation that Trey had left a day early and was in camp 3 even though he was calling from camp 2. Through long voice delays I learned Trey left a day early so he could get to camp 3 and take a rest day up high while the rest of the team. Fabrizio, Rolf, Gerlinde and a Canadian named Megan were at 2 with Frippe at 6400m.

    Frippe’s climb from base camp to camp 2 was made in warm temperatures, low winds and scattered clouds. Tomorrow’s forecast calls for more clouds but reasonable temperatures and wind, with some snow possible. Summit day, or the 6th, is calling for great weather – warm, low wind and clear skies.

    Tomorrow the group from camp 2 moves 3 while takes a rest day. Thursday everyone moves to camp 4 at 8000m on the shoulder. Then Friday (most likely late Thursday night) everyone moves to the summit. If they reach the summit by 2 PM on Friday Frippe will have to waste little time getting skiing. In our time zones that translates into 3 AM in Moab, UT and 11 AM in Sweden and France. If it takes him 6 hours to descent he may very well be using his headlamp for the last several hundred meters.

    The snow on skiers right was good from 7800m down – very skiable, Frippe said about his ski descent from last weeks summit attempt. The climbing was difficult from all the rocks on the other side but the skiing was good. The terrain above the shoulder – to the summit – looks good but that remains to be seen.

    So the weather, team and everyone’s health looks good. If this mountain shows the slightest kindness they may be able to pull this off. Tomorrow is another day.

    David

  12. I’m sure if you brought back some rocks my geology professors would be quite impressed and astonished! We’re rooting for yall and hope you have the best of luck and strength while your up on the top of the world.

  13. RIP Fredrik.

    You will be missed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s